Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fight like a Girl

There will be times when you disagree with your significant other. Some fights are more serious than others, but they most be handled carefully. With the right techniques, you can actually feel closer than ever. So men, it's time to learn how to fight like a girl.
What not to do:
Scooter and I had a complicated relationship to say the least. One night, we were fighting about whether dogs were better than cats (I changed the argument topic to avoid ridiculousness overload). I was saying that dogs were better and listed the reasons. Scooter's response went a little something like this:
"Well, you're just wrong." Strike one.
"I understand all of your points, but you need to see that I'm right." Seriously, I can't make this up.
"I'm older than you so you have to respect my experience on this." Strike two.
"Well, I'm going to do what I want anyway." Oh, he's as simple as the shirt on his back.

What you should have said:
We've all heard to use "I" statements and to not place blame. These are good words of advice. To really implement them in your relationship will take some talent. By fighting more like your girl does, you can bridge a bond of understanding and you can improve your communication skills and hers too. Here's a rundown of how it works. Using the same scenario as above, start like this:
1) State the obvious, fights can spiral out of control so first nail down what problem you have to solve. "It seems to me that I am a cat person and you are a dog person. Because it is something that is important to both of us, we need to talk out our differences and find a solution that makes us both happy.
2) List how you feel. Women LOVE when men talk, especially about their feelings. It makes us feel closer to you, so give it your best shot. Besides, real men aren't afraid of anything ;) Say something like, "I like cats because... When you say that you don't like cats I feel... I care about you and I want our relationship to work so I want to hear your side and I'm willing to compromise" This may seem like kindergarten, but insecurities come out during a fight. You're also encouraging her to rationally talk about her own feelings which avoids her throwing dishes, hairdryers, etc. at your head. Putting in this kind of effort and ending with reassuring comments will get you to make-up sex in no time.
3) Offer up a compromise. "If we do end up together, maybe we can get a cat and a dog. That way we will both be happy." Referring to how the compromise can positively impact your future together will send her into a compromising frenzy. Congratulations because you just successfully ended your up-hill battle.
Happy dating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment