Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I'm In Lesbians With You

Men, there comes a point in time when you too feel like Scott Pilgrim and want to tell your girl just how much you care. Take a lesson from my past and learn what not to do, but also how you can make it a moment your girl will treasure forever.
Scooter and I had been dating for a decent amount of time when I finally broke out the topic, "What does love mean to you?" Pictures of Pride and Prejudice, The Notebook, and A Walk to Remember blurred through my mind as I waited for his response. Being a very practical person, Scooter turned to me and looked me in the eye as he said, "Some people believe that love is nothing more than chemical reactions in our minds, but that's not what I believe. I believe that people create the idea of love in their heads to mask their insecurities about their own inadequacies." <me> Rage quit.


What you should have said:
Marshall and I had been dating a decent amount of time when I finally broke out the topic, "What does love mean to you?"... Wait, why does this sound familiar and why am I concerned about how he might respond? Too late to take it back, I waited for his response. Marshall replied simply by saying, "As far as love is concerned, I'm firmly believe in the idea of passionate love, where loving someone isn't so much an emotion as it is a state of being. Attraction and infatuation combined with enjoying spending time with them, caring deeply for them, and doing everything within your power to be happy together is love for me." (melt) What more could a girl ask for? :)
Men, I don't want you to think this blog is solely to make fun of your mistakes; although it is a recreational sport for some girls, Robin and I are here to help you LEARN.
So take a page from Marshall's book. Be honest in your response and you will have success. If you feel like Scooter I would suggest getting out of your current relationship. Unless you're with a girl who makes you believe in love and everything wonderful that comes with it, you have no business discussing lesbians.

How to say lesbians:
Warning: this will frighten you if you have not found The One, but saying I love you is practice for when it comes time for you to propose and it's almost equally as important. So when you are getting ready to say the L word, put some thought into it. If you have female friends in relationships, it is a good time to ask for their advice. Every girl is different, some want grand gestures and some want intimacy so just use your best judgment on this one. My advice would be to write it out first and to practice reciting it. When you tell her, be holding her hands and looking her in the eye. Body language is so important and you want her to know that you are serious and that you mean every word you are saying. Most importantly, focus on giving an honest depiction of your feelings (stick to the positive and nothing pessimistic) and try to make her feel special. Your love is the most important gift you can ever give and she is truly someone special if you are giving it to her. So enjoy the moment, make it memorable...
And welcome to the big leagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment